Best Practices of the College
· Title of the Practice – Teachers’ e-empowerment
· Objectives of the Practice - Teachers be enabled to make use of hardware, software and web applications
· The Context - Teachers these days are required to prepare documents with regards to preparation of their Academic Planning, continuous internal assessment, preparation of instructional materials, mark sheets, attendance records etc All the above involves certain degrees of repetitive work and hence requires minimization of recurring work – which can be done by way of effective use of customized software.
· The Practice - The college provides the teachers with appropriate software and encourages them to make use of such software
· Problems Encountered
· Initial resistance amongst the teachers
· Resources Required
· One time fund requirement for system development
· Training/Re-training of teachers
· Evidence of success
· Teachers getting encouraged to make use of computer and software
· Title of the Practice – Continuous Internal Assessment
· Objectives of the Practice
· Continuous Internal Assessment based on Multiple Choice Questions – teachers have prepared question banks for regular assessment – aiming to make the students regular in their classes and also to discourage the practice of rote learning.
· The Context –
· Students, in general these days are observed to remain absent in classes and take tuition from private tutors wherein they receive suggestions and notes. The students memorize the notes and write such notes in the examinations to pass. This disables the students to apply their mind to problems which in turn reduces their self belief.
· The teachers therefore aim at involving their students in formative assessment through continuous internal assessment for which question banks of MCQ type such that the students are made to come to classes and learn the subject in between the lines.
· The Practice –
· The IQAC has appreciated the practice of Continuous Internal Assessment which helps them to keep record of
· Monthly Test Schedule
· Question Banks of objective type
· Attendance Record
· Monthly Test Records
· Instructional Materials
· Problems Encountered and Resources Required
o Problem – Initial hesitancy and lack of interest amongst students.
o Human Resource – Training/Retraining of teachers.
· Evidence of success
o Repetitive work getting minimized.
o Teachers’ e-empowerment on the rise.
o Culture of formative assessment is surfacing.